← Back to Kevin's homepagePublished: 2017 December 30Last updated: 2018 Feb 1

Datatron (working title) is a uniform, search-based interface for quickly accessing your digital information, regardless of “where” it is.

The goal is to eliminate tedious mental recall and navigation of:

AKA: “Stop mousing around windows and tabs.”

Here’s a 5-minute demo:

Email me if you’d like to beta test it.

Currently Datatron only works on Macs with a 2013-ish Haswell or newer processor. (I’m relying on AVX2 CPU instructions for fast search.)

Datatron will be released as a paid product in Q1 2018. Development updates will be announced on my email newsletter.

Setup instructions

Datatron unpacks all extension code to ~/.datatron/integrations/ when you first run it.

For Emacs integration, you should add to your ~/.emacs.d/init.el file the line:

(load "~/.datatron/integrations/emacs/datatron.el")

You should also have emacsclient in /usr/local/bin. (This is already the case if you installed Emacs via brew cask install emacs.)

For Browser Tabs you must add the Datatron browser extension. This extension is automatically unpacked to ~/.datatron/integrations/browser_extension.

The extension needs to “Read and change all your data on the websites you visit” so that it’s allowed to take screenshots. (Feel free to read the unminified JavaScript.)

Browser History is available for Chrome only and no setup is necessary.

A note on fullscreen

OS X Spaces is a “feature” that adds a swiping animation each time you switch between fullscreen applications.

Datatron will appear without animation on your current space, but it cannot prevent the swipe animation when switching to an application on another space.

If a gratuitous 500ms animation is an affront to your dignity (or if it just makes you seasick), you are not alone. Many app developers have introduced specific workarounds to allow their apps to fullscreen on the default space.

In Emacs, set (setq ns-use-native-fullscreen nil). Then you can toggle humane fullscreen via toggle-frame-fullscreen.

In ITerm2, Open preferences and uncheck “Native fullscreen windows”.

In Google Chrome, throw yourself upon the mercy of Google developers on this Chromium bug ticket.

For everything else, Pay $12 for Total Spaces2, which somehow injects code into OS X itself to actually disable the animation.

Development log

Everything below here are my rough thoughts / questions / notes.

If you have any thoughts or suggestions, please email me.

Feb 1: Core rewrite

The original prototype was written in ClojureScript with Rust hooks for the OS X window APIs. However, I decided to rewrite the core application logic in Rust because:

As part of this rewrite, I decided to remove some features:

Results are no longer ordered by recency. The idea with recency was to allow Datatron to replace Command-Tab for quick switching. However, that requires Datatron always know what “thing” — browser tab, Emacs buffer, OS X Window, etc. — is active. This would be easy if Datatron was the only way to switch between things, but it’s not — it’s common to create new tabs within a browser or switch between buffers within Emacs. So either Datatron would need to poll running applications to keep track of what’s active or we risk the result order not always being accurate. Neither option is good, so I decided to scrap that use case.

Filesystem search dropped. During interviews, folks were much more excited about the switching than they were about filesystem search. Most people reported that Spotlight worked just fine for their hard disk searching needs.

That index was a prototype, in any case — Datatron scanned your hard disk only on startup (so it wouldn’t see subsequent file creations/deletions), and stored the index uncompressed in RAM.

While it’s possible for Datatron to hook into the Spotlight index, early tests indicate that it might take ~100–500ms for arbitrary file searches, which is far too long.

I would like to revisit the question of file search / manipulation, but that may be best tackled in a separate project.

Results are no longer visually grouped into “open” and “recent” categories; open results (windows, tabs, and buffers) simply come before the others.

Datatron commands have been removed from the results in favor of an overlay pseudomode that shows all commands and hotkeys when the Command key is held down.

As to the query question from the last update, I settled on two options:

Next steps from here are to tidy up the visual design, look into a few more integrations (probably Visual Studio Code and iTerm), and come up with a decent name/icon.

Dec 31: Too many query results

Some queries yield too many results to filter via textual query. For example, the ClojureScript compiler has a “twitterbuzz” demo project, so when I search for “twi” I get 50+ results like:


which obscure the actual result that I want — to open in a new browser tab.

Showing browser history results before local filesystem results just flips the problem around for when I actually do want to open twitterbuzz/ or whatever.

Possible solutions I’ve considered, none of which seem obviously correct:

← Back to Kevin's homepage